How to cook hash brown patties in the air fryer from frozen in just 10 minutes! Air fryer hash brown patties are wonderfully golden and crispy with no oil needed!
Oil-Free Crispy Air Fryer Frozen Hash Brown Patties
After years of cooking frozen hash patties at home, I think I've finally discovered the perfect cooking method that combines taste, texture, and health. Ditch the large quantities of oil needed for deep frying and the often lackluster, limp (and long) results of oven-baked hash browns for air fryer hash brown patties that are golden brown, wonderfully crispy outside, and tender in the middle in just 12 minutes total!
Whenever I can mimic the texture of deep-fried food with a fraction of the oil, I consider it a win. In the case of these air fryer frozen hash browns (and my air fryer tater tots), though, it's even better as I haven't added a single drop of oil! They already contain remnants from their original cooking method, so it simply isn't needed.
Cooking frozen foods might be one of my favorite air fryer uses. These air fryer frozen hash browns require less clean-up, cook faster than baked, have a better texture, and require no added oil! It's a win-win-win!
Just follow my tips below, and you'll achieve wonderfully crispy hash browns in the air fryer every time. Then enjoy them with your favorite dip as a quick snack, with breakfast, with dinner as a side dish, or fully loaded, like hash brown nachos.
- Hash Brown patties: Use your desired brand of frozen patties such as Ore Ida, Trader Joe's, generic store-brand versions, etc.
- Salt & Pepper (optional): Feel free to season to taste.
Optional To Serve:
- Ketchup (optional): For serving. Alternatively, use the condiment of your choice.
- Dairy-free cheese: For more flavor, you could sprinkle a vegan melty cheese over the hash brown patties in the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
- As Avocado Hashbrown Toast
There's no need to use any oil for achieving crispy air fryer hash brown patties. However, for the crispiest results, lightly spray both sides of the hash browns with an oil cooking spray.
How to Make Air Fryer Hash Brown Patties?
It's practically effortless to air fry frozen tater tots and requires just three steps!
- 1) First, preheat the air fryer to 400F/205C.
- 2) Then, spread the frozen hash brown patties in the air fryer basket in a single layer with space in between.
Don't stack or overlap the patties otherwise, they won't cook evenly or become as crispy as possible.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then pause, flip the patties with a spatula, and cook for a further 4 minutes. If they aren't crispy enough, continue to air fry in 1-minute increments until you've reached your desired results.
Serve immediately while warm!
Traditionally, yes, they are. However, some brands may contain eggs or dairy, so read the ingredients list before purchasing them.
I don't recommend it, as they will steam and become very fragile, soggy, and likely fall apart. By spreading the frozen hash brown patties in a single layer with air able to circulate around them, they will properly cook and crisp up.
No, cook the hash brown in the air fryer from frozen for the best (and most fuss-free) method and results.
We've found that regular-sized hash browns take 9-10 minutes. If you're using smaller/thinner or thicker/larger hash browns, then adjust the time by 1-2 minutes.
If you prefer them to be crispier, check on them in 1-minute increments until they reach your desired level.
While you can air fry the shredded-style hash browns, they will require a different method/times. Therefore, I don't recommend following this recipe for them.
The crispy air fryer hash brown patties are best eaten fresh for the best texture. However, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat them in the air fryer to bring back some of the crispiness while reheating them.
Top Recipe Tips and Notes
- Don't skip the preheating: For evenly cooked air fryer hash brown patties.
- Cooking time can vary: Based on how thick the patties are and your specific air fryer model. So monitor them the first time you follow this method and make any adjustments.
- Don't overcrowd the basket: Otherwise, the air fryer hashbrowns won't become crispy. They need to have space for the hot air to circulate. Cook in batches if necessary. You can add them all (stacked/overlapping if necessary) back to the air fryer at the end for a couple of minutes to reheat.
- Avoid metal utensils: To avoid scratching your air fryer's non-stick coating, it's best to use softer plastic or silicone tools (like a spatula) rather than metal.
- Enjoy immediately: Air fryer hash browns are crispiest directly from the air fryer while still warm.
More Vegan Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Tater Tots
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash [Cubes + Halves]
- Easy Vegan Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Baked or Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
If you try this method for frozen air fryer hash brown patties, I'd love to know what you think in the comments below. I'd also really appreciate a recipe card rating!
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Air Fryer Hash Brown Patties
- air fryer
- 4 hashbrown patties
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Ketchup, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Spread the hashbrown patties in a single layer and cook for 5 minutes. Pause the air fryer and shake the basket, add salt and pepper (if using), and cook for another 4 minutes.
- If you’d like them to be crispier, cook in 1-minute increments until you reach your desired texture.
- Serve immediately with ketchup, if using.
Disclaimer: Although foodsharingvegan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Foodsharingvegan.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.
The texture is spot on. So crisp!
I would love this
Let us know what you think if you try it out 🙂
I LOVE hash browns! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
It's a goodie!
I love hashbrowns, and can't wait to make them in the air fryer!
They come out SO crispy!
Gina H. says
All I can say is - pure potato pleasure! This crisp and savory treat is a must for weekend brunch. Yum!
Yessss! So crispy and tasty!
Easy and simple instructions!
Love the simple ones too!
Hash browns in the air fryer make breakfast a breeze! So delicious to just snack on too. I love how crisp it gets.
Right?! So easy and satisfying to accompany any breakfast!
These hash brown patties were so delicious! I am totally obsessed with this recipe!
Right?! I'm in love!
Thanks for this recipe! I love hash brown patties and making in the Air Fryer is so handy to me.
It makes enjoying a hash brown that much better!
yes!! 10 minutes is all the time i have in the morning before getting hangry! 🙂
Right?! So quick and easy to whip up!
Omg looks so good! I have to try this!
Yessss! Nothing beats a hash brown!
Yum, this recipe is perfect! Thanks for sharing!
So glad you enjoyed it!
Okay there is nobody on the planet who wont love these!!
Right?! They're always a big hit!