These fresh-tasting and delicious vegan tea sandwiches are easy to put together using 4 simple ingredients. We love the combination of creamy avocados, crisp cucumber, and savory pesto in between fluffy white bread. Enjoy these mini treats not only for afternoon tea but on picnics, in lunch boxes, and as party appetizers too.
Tea sandwiches are traditionally served in the afternoon to keep hunger at bay until dinnertime. These are not full sandwiches though; they are small and are meant to be eaten in a few bites only. They are so tasty though, we are not sure if you can stop with just one or two! Serve them with vegan strawberry shortcake and easy vegan Just Egg frech toast at your next tea party and have a blast!
Table of contents
The Best Vegan Tea Sandwiches Ever!
There are many variations of these dainty sandwiches because you can basically use any filling when making them, however, cucumber mini sandwiches are one of the most popular. This is because they are light, cool, and refreshing, which is perfect on a hot afternoon. We added avocado and pesto and they are absolutely the tastiest vegan tea-time sandwich ever!
Plus, we used Rhode’s Bake-N-Serv White Bread. The aroma of freshly baked yeast bread in the air as these were baking was absolutely heavenly. They came out of the oven super soft and fluffy - perfect for sandwich-making! They are preservative-free, NON-GMO, and vegan too.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Avocado - thinly sliced. You will know when avocados are ripe when they yield to gentle pressure. If you love avocado, you might also enjoy our vegan avocado toast and avocado and refried bean tostadas.
- Cucumber-thinly sliced. Use a mandolin to get perfectly thin and even slices. It will save you time too.
- Pesto - this adds a delicious herby and savory flavor to the sandwiches.
- Rhodes White Bread- thaw, rise, bake, and serve! Skip the hard part and enjoy freshly baked bread in minutes! You can also use their fiber-rich wheat bread if you like. Find out where to buy them here.
How to Make Vegan Tea Sandwiches
These are super simple and easy to make yet pack quite a punch flavor-wise! They are the perfect summer sandwiches that are versatile and healthy too. Here’s how to make them:
- 1) To two of the slices of bread add 1 tablespoon of pesto each. Spread it evenly and top with avocado slices and cucumber slices.
- 2) Top with the other two slices of bread each and gently press down. Slice off the crusts and cut into 4 rectangles. Serve and enjoy!
Note: Follow package instructions to bake the white bread.
Add-ons and Variations
The possibilities are endless here! One thing to remember though is that tea sandwiches are not meant to make people feel full, so keep the fillings light.
- Add roasted peppers. This will give the tea sandwiches a nice smoky kick!
- Pickled carrots and daikon radishes are also a great addition. They will add a tangy crunch and color.
- Sundried tomatoes for an umami boost!
- Lettuce and red onions give them a classic flair.
- You can also use other fillings such as vegan scrambled eggs, chickpea tuna filling, or vegan cream cheese.
If you have leftovers, place them in a lidded container or wrap them in plastic wrap or foil to keep them fresh. Place in the fridge and consume within three days.
More related recipes:
- Vegan smashed chickpea salad
- Vegan cordon bleu
- Buffalo chickpea wraps
- Smashed avocado hashbrown toast
- Easy vegan Just Egg French toast
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Vegan Tea Sandwiches
- 4 slices Rhodes White Bread
- 1 medium avocado
- 4 medium cucumber
- 4 tablespoons of pesto
- To two of the slices of bread add 1 tablespoon of pesto each. Spread it evenly and top with avocado slices and cucumber slices.
- Top with the other two slices of bread each and gently press down. Slice off the crusts and cut into 4 rectangles.
- The options are endless: add your favorite veggies to mix it up!
- If you have leftovers, place in the fridge and consume within three days.