Smooth and creamy, dairy-free Instant Pot garlic mashed potatoes in under 30 minutes! This pressure cooker mashed potatoes recipe is super versatile and perfect for serving at Thanksgiving and alongside almost any meal!
Fuss-Free Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potato is one of my favorite versatile side dishes, and the process of preparing it has become even more effortless thanks to this Instant Pot garlic mashed potatoes recipe! Cooking mashed potatoes in an Instant Pot requires just the one pot, a handful of pantry staples, is fuss-free and mess-free, and leaves more space on your stovetop (which is especially wonderful during the holiday period)!
For this version, I’ve made these super creamy, wholesome, and comforting vegan Instant Pot mashed potatoes with the addition of garlic (and plenty of it), dairy-free butter and milk. By cooking the garlic with the potatoes, the flavor infuses better, and the results are super delicious, with no extra effort. Meanwhile, the dairy-free butter and milk help to make it wonderfully creamy.
This mash really is a wonderful blank canvas though, too. Leave the skin on or peel the potatoes, adjust the amount of garlic, or mix in one or more of the optional add-ins listed. Whether you want to enjoy creamy, ‘cheezy’ mashed potato, herby mash, veggie mashed potato, etc. Use the Instant Pot vegan mashed potatoes method below for the best results every time!
- Potatoes: It’s best to use russet potatoes for this creamy mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot, though Yukon Gold potatoes will also work.
Avoid waxy potatoes, though, as they don’t break down as easily, so are more likely to become gummy while attempting to get a creamy texture.
- Garlic: I recommend using an entire head of garlic for this pressure cooker mashed potatoes. The flavor mellows considerably when cooked. However, adjust the amount to taste.
- Plant-based milk: As long as it’s unsweetened, any should work. I.e., almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, oat milk. Use a non-dairy cream or full-fat canned coconut milk for the creamiest results.
- Plant-based butter: Use unsalted dairy-free butter (or margarine). Salted will also work, but then adjust the amount of added salt accordingly.
- Salt & black pepper: Added to taste.
Optional add-ins & Recipe Variations
These easy Instant Pot mashed potatoes are super versatile. Whether you want to add extra flavor to the garlic mashed potato or choose other flavorings entirely, here are a few of my favorite options.
- Seasonings: Experiment with seasonings to add extra flavor to the pressure cooker mashed potatoes. Add a pinch and adjust the amount to taste.
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chili/Cayenne powder
- Olive oil: Serve the vegan garlic mashed potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil (or melted vegan butter) for extra silky mouthfeel. Use truffle oil to infuse the mash with extra flavor.
- Herbs: Infuse the vegan Instant Pot mashed potatoes with additional flavor by warming your plant-based milk of choice with herbs (i.e., rosemary or thyme) and allowing it to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Fresh herbs (to garnish): Parsley works particularly well, but fresh chives and dill are also delicious.
- Vegan cream cheese: Add in some vegan cream cheese for richer, creamier vegan garlic mashed potatoes. For extra flavor, use a garlic and herb or otherwise flavored version.
- Vegan cheese: Adding nutritional yeast will work well for a subtle 'cheesy' flavor. For something with a bit more ‘pow,’ you can add some of your favorite melty vegan cheese as well. Adjust the amount to taste.
- Spinach: An easy way to add greens to this Instant Pot vegan mashed potatoes is by adding a few handfuls of spinach into the just mashed potato, mixing, and closing the Instant Pot lid for 1-2 minutes. The heat should wilt the leaves.
- Vegetables: It’s best to cook these separately and mix them into the already mashed potato. My favorites include peas, broccoli and carrots.
- Cauliflower: If you want to reduce the amount of carbs in this side dish, you could swap out a portion of the potato (⅓-½) for cauliflower instead.
- Vegetable stock: For more flavor, use vegetable stock instead of water to cook the potatoes.
How to Make Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes?
It’s practically effortless to air fry frozen tater tots and requires just three steps!
- First, peel (optional) and chop the potatoes into 2-inch pieces/slices and peel the garlic cloves.
- Then, add the potatoes and garlic to a 6-quart Instant Pot and submerge them in cold water, sealing the lid.
- Cook on HIGH for 5 minutes, using the quick release (carefully) immediately, turning the valve to the venting position.
The Instant Pot will take 10-12 minutes coming up to pressure before the 5 minute cooking time begins.
- Drain the water with a colander and then place the ingredients mashed in the Instant Pot and add the vegan milk, vegan butter, and seasonings.
- Mash with a potato masher (or fork) until you reach your desired consistency and enjoy your creamy vegan garlic mashed potatoes!
How Long Are Mashed Potatoes Good For?
Make ahead: You can pre-chop (and optionally peel) the potatoes up to 2 days in advance, storing them in an airtight container of water to avoid browning.
Fridge: Store any leftover vegan garlic mashed potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days.
Freezer: Allow it to cool completely, then store in an airtight container/Ziplock/Stasher bag for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Use either the microwave or the stovetop to reheat the mash. I recommend adding an extra splash of plant-based milk, water, stock, or vegan butter if needed to bring it back to the super creamy consistency.
It would probably be easier to write a list of what NOT to eat with versatile vegan mashed potatoes. So while the options are practically endless, here are just a few of my top recommendations.
- Serve with stews and casseroles
- Enjoy alongside a pie
- Enjoy with vegan sausages and gravy
- Have on your Thanksgiving table
- Serve with a vegan roast dinner
- Enjoy with vegan meatballs
- Have with vegan meatloaf
- Create a loaded mashed potato bowl
- Have with Bolognese sauce instead of spaghetti
For interesting ideas on enjoying the leftovers, refer to the FAQs!
Yes, the mash just won’t be as smooth and you’ll be able to see flecks of the peel. However, you will get all the extra fiber and vitamins/minerals. So, it’s up to you.
While storing plain mashed potatoes, they will thicken and become perfect for other recipes, including making potato dumplings, noodles, waffles, gnocchi, and ‘bubble and squeak.’
You can also use it within soups, bread, vegan mac and cheese sauce, and as a topping for vegan shepherd’s pie/ cottage pie and similar recipes.
It’s possible to use some of the starchy potato cooking water in place of vegan milk in this recipe. However, this is a bit of a love-hate recommendation. Vegetable stock (only lightly salted) would likely be a preferred option.
Olive oil may work in its place or even some vegan mayonnaise.
This comes down to taste as the various plant milks have slightly different tastes. So experiment and find which you prefer.
Top Recipe Tips and Notes
- To adjust the consistency: Based on how thick or light and creamy you prefer your mash, adjust the amount of liquid added.
- For the smoothest results: Use a potato ricer for the cooked potatoes, then mix it in with the remaining ingredients (if you’ve left the skins on the potato, the ricer will naturally filter these out). For the next best result, use a potato masher, and for the least smooth vegan garlic mashed potatoes, use a fork. While using an immersion blender/mixer is possible, it can turn the mash gummy by activating the starches, so I don’t recommend it.
- For a potato puree: Press the mash through a sieve.
- Use warm vegan milk: This will keep the vegan garlic mashed potatoes warmer for longer when serving. Alternatively, leave the milk out on the counter while the potatoes cook to bring it to room temperature, at least.
- If you peel the potatoes: There’s no need to discard the leftover peel. Instead, either save it in a bag in the freezer to make homemade vegetable stock or even season and bake it into crispy potato peel chips.
If you try this Instant Pot garlic mashed potatoes recipe, I’d love to know what you think in the comments below. I’d also really appreciate a recipe card rating!
Photos by Alfonso Revilla
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes [+ Mix-Ins]
- my favorite knives
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 4 pounds of russet potatoes (4-5 large potatoes), chopped
- 10 cloves of garlic (about 1 head)
- 1 cup of plain, unsweetened plant-based milk
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- In a 6-quart Instant Pot, add potatoes and whole garlic cloves, and completely submerge them in cold water. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes with a quick release.
- Drain out the water with a colander. Place the potatoes and garlic back into the pot, add plant-based milk, vegan butter, salt, and pepper.
- Mash potatoes and garlic with a potato masher or a large and sturdy fork until you reach your desired consistency.
Disclaimer: Although foodsharingvegan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, kindly note that these are only estimates. Nutritional information may be affected based on the product type, the brand that was purchased, and in other unforeseeable ways. Foodsharingvegan.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information. If you need to follow a specific caloric regimen, please consult your doctor first.
So excited to try this out!
Gina H. says
Marvelous mashed potatoes! The flavor is so wonderful and I love the ease of making them in the Instant Pot. Yes!
So smooth and delicious!
Super easy & simple to make the instant pot saves so much time
It's a game-changer!!
Great recipe for a side dish! Thanks
The perfect side dish!
Super smooth vegan mashed potatoes that are perfectly seasoned. Great recipe 👍
Yessss. Creamy and delicious!
Using an instant pot for mashed potatoes is such a clever idea! Looks delicious!
It's saves so much time! And the consistency is everything!!
Mashed potatoes are my favourite. Your version was really good. Yum.
Nothing like a good mashed potatoes dish!
These mashed potatoes are incredible!
They're so simple yet soooo good!
I can never get tired of mashed potatoes!
Forever a favorite!
These mashed potatoes are my all-time favorites! So flavorful, creamy, and delicious.
aren't the best? love that garlicky flavor!
love how yummy they are too!
Yum! Smooth, creamy, mashed potato perfection! Definitely making it in the Instant Pot more often.
you're going to love it! so easy and delicious!
My mashed potatoes came out deliciously! I had never made mashed potatoes using an instant pot and loved it!
awesome! nothing like mashed potatoes 🙂